Saturday, May 29, 2010

Photographer, artist, graphic designer

Computer arts is a great magazine, I love the fact that they show us a interesting and complicated design, but they also give the steps of how to do it yourself. They give you one example of a technique but the reader can apply it to any of their own work too.

Image from computer arts 62, 64, 65, 66

This is the final solution, the brief was to design a piece, with the theme of body art, that was photo based. For me it's really interesting to look at this article to see the process, the final result is amazing, but when I look at the development I think "I could actually do this".

Image from computer arts 62, 64, 65, 66

First the artist Gustavo Lopez Manas, takes photos, then on tracing paper experiments with different lines and direction, using the photo underneath as a template to get the right shape. He then scans the tracing paper drawings into photoshop and starts using layer masks to create the final look, making the original photo fade away into his drawing.



What I really like is that his work gives me possibilities, things to think about and ideas. I also like the fact that the work is a cross between photography, art and graphic design. Everything is a mix, a collaboration, no one could design anything truly interesting and thought provoking if they never explored, never influenced by other designers, never saw the city where they lived, visited the museum or looked out the window.

Sources:
Gustavo Lopez Manas. (n.d.) Retrieved on May 30, 2010 from http://www.glm-studio.com/
Monzuki. (December 22, 2009). Calculated art of beauty. Retrieved on May 30, 2010 from http://blog.monzuki.com/2009/12/calculated-art-of-beauty.html
Lopez Manas, Gustavo. (July 2008). Inspiration workshop. Computer arts. 62, 64, 65, 66

1 comment:

  1. Another illustration style I'm liking at the moment. I should start playing around and experimenting. :D

    ReplyDelete